Monday, November 19, 2012

Its all in the detail.

I don't know about you, but I have an inbuilt mechanism that makes me look at things in depth.

I desperately tried to turn it off when I was a child but I had no choice but to put a lot of detail into my work.

My Dad, bless him, did the same....


I tried to be 'free' with my childlike drawings... but it didn't work, unsatisfied  I gave up drawing and took up reading.

Well, that didn't work either, I became engrossed in books.

Right now I'm at a cross roads with my quilting.

I have the Bayeux Quilt in Process.... 7 years of musing, designing, researching. Its quite traditional raw edge machine appliqué. I love it, I love the details and everything about it.


More recently I discovered that I could illustrate in a reasonable form with the machine.




It's detail, once again.... can't get away from the detail.

But I want to do something different...

For the past month or so I've been designing quilts for my Alphabet....I want them to be completely different with a lightness and a whimsical quality. I'm trying very hard to make them simple,  fun and at times just a little challenging.  26 quilts in all and each one with a personality of its own....

Can I do it... I don't know but I'm giving it a darn good try.

Right now, they are meeting the challenge... but I hope I don't slip into "Detailia"


1 comment:

  1. We love what you do Pam so, just go with the flow!
    Detailia? we will cope - simple? we like that too.

    Cheers
    Robyn
    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete