Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Good Morning Sunshine.

I  have so much to do and I'm really on a go slow today.

I woke at 3.00 am and finally fell back to sleep at an ungodly hour.

I will try to add more quilt show photos to the web page tomorrow.

It was hot, but we walked the markets and I found a small fabric shop that sold the most beautiful fine Indonesian cotton for $6 for 4 yards.!!!!! yes, thats right $6.



I bought some for a quilt back and the other for my Christmas cloths.

We walked past aromatic spices and listened to the banter of the folk who  are convinced we need a copy watch or at least a named handbag.!!!!!








There are still old parts of the city to be explored and this we did relishing the cool of the 
decorated century old arches and the courtyard.





It was hot. So we tried to get a Taxi back to our hotel.... "It's just a couple of miles they said... better you walk".... so walk we did, along the dock past the most interesting array of goods waiting to be transported...



My face was bright red when I was kissed by a camel, or was it just the heat?



Then it was time to leave and go to Ras al Khaima some  120 kms NW of Dubai.

The windblown desert sand is red rust arched in snake like semi circles against the wind. One side of the arch is in deep shadow.


There are trees,  spaced sparsely offering little shade to the dry earth.
Like Australia the foliage is blue green.

The traffic is relentless near the city, but finally thins to a steady stream and blends on the horizon with the grey blue of the sky.

I wonder if the sun is ever able to penetrate the dust in the air.

There are no clouds, just a layer of mist.

our driver is traveling at 140 Kms an hour.... It just doesn't seen that fast.

Buildings of immense size suddenly arise from the earth... There is no beautification to support it... Just red dirt.

Suddenly, an oasis appears and an entire city comes into view.

RAK.... 

Our home for the next 4 days..... and as I write this its late and I need to be on top form for the Camel races at 7.00 am tomorrow.








No comments:

Post a Comment