Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'm behind with the blog.

I'm a day behind with my blog.... and this is possibly the last blog in this format... hopefully I can go back to the real one tomorrow or the next day.

We have about 20 hours of travel so I might miss a day.

Yesterday I visited my friends and Students at Classic Quilts.

Mala, YES, you are my Sister !!!!

I was touched that some of you came from so far away..... even flying in from neighbouring countries...
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I was too busy to take photos, so hopefully someone will send me some, the cameras were certainly flashing.

I will be having a teaching trip back next year so I hope to catch up with more of my students and of course lots of new ones. There is an exciting new venture in the offering.



Today we went to the Fish Market  which is just a short drive from here.... just 10 mins or so in the taxi.

I had read other blogs about the market and I figured we just couldn't miss it.



The venue is huge and I've never seen so many varieties of fish.
I was aware that I was only there to photograph, not buy, so I sort of kept out on the fringes rather than blast through the middle aisles.


Despite the fact that there is water on the floor, it smells like fish (of course) the place is spotless and I would have no problem buying fish from here if I lived in here.

I admit, I only eat fish that doesn't taste fishy.... strange but true.



Every time I've been in Dubai, people ask me to take their photograph.... Its delightful, these two young me were walking along the street near the market.
"Take our photo"



The market next to the fish is a fruit and veggie market... I just love dates... I live on them when I travel and I was able to buy some to take to Thailand with me.

Unlike us at the central market in Adelaide with our trolleys, you can hire a guy with a brightly coloured wheelbarrow or a cart to follow you and carry your goods.


We wandered for some time, chatting with people and just taking everything in.... we left and wandered down through the back alleys.
We came upon a mens hairdresser.... Keith needed a haircut and one of the guys saw us stop and signalled for us to come in.
So we did.

I had the most entertaining hour I've had in a long time.

Sadly I deleted some of the photos by mistake...

Those guys know how to pamper their male clients.
First Keith had his hair wiped....!!!

Then he began to scissor cut and that process took about half an hour.

The ears, the nostrils, the eyebrows..... and then came the facial and the beard trim.....
Aha, but it wasn't finished.... he was pounded on the back and then on his head, his arms lifted in the air... Oh, my, I was laughing too much to film...

He shifted to another chair and they washed the cream off his face an the pounding began again....

It was hilarious... but it was the best haircut and beard trim he's ever had.



We had lunch at a restaurant by the water and caught the water taxi back to our Hotel.





No comments:

Post a Comment