Sunday, November 11, 2012

Full Circle.

A few years ago I taught a class in NZ, and I met a lovely lady called Glen.

A few years later, Glen came to class in a small place in NSW I think. !!!

A few years after that, Glens' group in Auckland invited me to teach for a week retreat.

We did a portrait class and Glen decided to do a portrait of her daughters friend.

At times she became discouraged.... but did finish the portrait.

Last night here in RAK, we had a wonderful dinner with some of my Sister and Brother in Laws friends.

A very excited lady came through the gate and said.
"I have a wonderful story to tell you" she said,  and showed me the portrait Glen had made in class of her..... Yes, she was the friend and the image had gone full circle.
So here we are Sue and I with her portrait on the iPad.
Amazing.


But full circle in Quilting is not new. It's happened to me many times....as I'm sure it does with you all.
As my Buddy Jim West said today...."Sometimes just being in the moment instead of capturing the moment is the game plan"
It just happens. No planning.

Full circle is spending time with students who come to your class with trepidation and come back time and time again, with new expectations, anticipation and confidence.

I had another wonderful experience today....
I was a guest at a college. I shared my ideas and quilts with several hundred people.

Mainly young students 18 years and over who had never seen textile art like this before.

"Please come back and teach us" I heard over and over again. Some lingered for several hours.

I was thrilled and honoured that these young people would embrace the art in such a way.

So of course I'll be back, it would be exciting to bring quilting in such a way to this part of the world.


Sharing what you do in a simple form is the greatest honour an Artist can achieve.

The students snapped away  photographing  my quilts today... let's hope it provokes discussion and creativity. Lets not be too precious about "Our Artistic rights" keeping our creations on the wall instead of the viewers hearts (and cameras)




1 comment:

  1. i loved reading your full circle story...ty for sharing peg in la

    ReplyDelete